We welcome schools from both the US and Canada!
At this time, our system is set up to report in standard units, so we will convert any metric data by hand. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are a Canadian school and would like to participate in the GameDay Challege.
In future years, we hope to have data available in either type of unit, depending on your school’s registration address.
Results will be announced Monday December 14, 2015.
The Zero Waste Wall of Fame recognizes schools that are approaching or have achieved 90 percent diversion rates within their football stadiums.
Game data can be submitted after completing a GDRC ReTrac Registration Form, as early as August 17. Final deadline to submit or update data for this year’s competition is December 7, 2015.
Simply report the official game attendance shown in the box score for the game.
Yes. Schools may report one or more home games. Where more than one game is reported we will use your best result for each category. For example, if a school reports three games and the Diversion Rate ranking is highest from the first game while the best Waste Generation number is from the third game we will use the best numbers for each category even when they come from different games.
Any college or university in the United States or Canada with a football program can participate in the GameDay Recycling Challenge.
GameDay Recycling Challenge program is administered through a FREE Re-TRAC Connect account. If your school has reported data through Re-TRAC previously, such as for RecycleMania or other State reporting, you can use that same Re-TRAC account to opt-in to GameDay Recycling Challenge program on Re-TRAC.
If you think your school has participated in past years but you don’t have access to that account, please contact the helpline to recover your school’s account information, so you will have access to previous years data; don’t create a new account each year.
If you have never competed in GameDay Recycling Challenge before and do not have a Re-TRAC account, refer to this Registration Guide for New Re-TRAC Users. This will help you create a Re-TRAC Connect account and complete the GameDay Recycling Challenge forms.
If you have participated in the GameDay Recycling Challenge in the past or if you have an existing Re-TRAC Connect account, please refer to the Registration Guide for Users with Existing Re-TRAC Accounts.
For questions not covered in the registration guides, email email@example.com. Helpline support will generally respond within 24 hours.
There will be two national awards and also five awards within each conference or division
Schools that can measure waste and recycling in BOTH their stadium and tailgate/parking areas are eligible for the National Challenge Awards
- Diversion Rate
- Total Recycling
Schools compete within their own athletic conference. Schools that are not a part of a conference (“independent”) will be listed separately.
Schools should strive to measure waste and recycling inside and outside their stadium but may submit data from just inside the stadium, just outside the stadium, or both inside and outside the stadium.
Since most conference awards are based on attendance (per capita), schools competing for a conference award must report official stadium attendance as listed on the box score from the game. If there is not an official box score, schools can report estimated attendance.
- Recycling: The school with the highest recycling per capita wins.
- Waste Generation: The school with the lowest per capita waste generation wins.
- Greenhouse Gas Reduction: The school with the highest greenhouse gas reduction per capita wins.
- Organics Reduction: The school with the highest organic reduction rate per capita wins.
- Conference Diversion Rate: The school with the highest recycling rate wins.
Free technical assistance is available to all GameDay Challenge participants to help design and implement effective waste reduction activities. Key tools and resources include:
- The GameDay Challenge Helpline, a free email service staffed by board members of RecycleMania and CURC, offers access to information specialists trained to answer questions about the GameDay Challenge, including technical questions on how to design and implement a GameDay waste reduction program. You can contact GameDay Challenge Helpline at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The GameDay Challenge Resources web page contains a variety of resources, including information and guidance on how to set up and operate a GameDay waste reduction program.