GameDay Recycling Challenge Helpline
The Helpline is a free service staffed by board members of CURC and RecycleMania. We can answer questions about registration, measurement, participation and how to improve you GameDay Recycling Challenge waste reduction efforts. Send your emails to the Helpline at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Collegiate Football Sustainable Materials Management Toolkit provides a guide for institutions of higher education across the country to implement or improve their game day recycling and sustainability efforts. This document is a product of the leadership and analysis of Virginia Tech students working for Virginia Tech’s Office of Energy and Sustainability. It provides a range of ideas, from a framework for developing a game day program from scratch to continually improving your existing stadium program.
The final toolkit was developed in collaboration with the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and a national panel of technical experts from The Ohio State University, Penn State, Peninsula Sanitary Service, Inc. (PSSI)/Stanford Recycling, University of Colorado Boulder, and Wake Forest University. The project is supported by the College and University Recycling Coalition (CURC), Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE), and Keep America Beautiful (KAB).
Other Tools & Resources
- Recycle On The Go provides information on target areas and tips for reducing waste in stadiums.
- Try out the Stadium Pledge Drive activity at your tailgate, in conjunction with America Recycles Day.
- The Stadium Recycling Guide provides direction on setting up a recycling program at a stadium.
- EPA’s How to Set up a Recycling Program website has useful information for setting up a recycling program at a stadium.
- The Greening Sports Directory is a comprehensive collection of local, regional, and national contacts and resources to help facilities of all kinds green their operations.
- The Green Sports Alliance is a non-profit organization with a mission to help sports teams, venues and leagues enhance their environmental performance.
- California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery’s (CalRecycle’s) Venues and Events: Reducing Waste
- “Rock and Wrap it Up!” works with sports teams to help fight hunger in their team’s community through clubhouse and stadium food recovery.
- The NRDC Greening Advisor The Natural Resources Defense Council’s web-based tool featuring advice on sustainable stadium operations and team practices.
- Venue and Event Recycling in the USA estimates the potential volume of recyclable containers generated and provides six guiding principles shared by all successful recycling models.
- Ralphie’s Green Stampede is the University of Colorado’s ambitious effort to reuse, recycle, or compost valuable materials, thereby reducing the environmental impact of home football games.
- College and University Recycling Coalition is a network of campus-based recycling professionals who facilitate information exchange on operating recycling and waste reduction programs at North American institutions of higher learning.
- RecycleMania is a friendly competition and benchmarking tool for college and university recycling programs to promote waste reduction activities to their campus communities.